Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Grandma's Ring


When I was 15 my mother gave to me my grandmother's engagement ring. She had had it for some years. My grandmother had severe arthritis that had really taken its toll on her beautiful hands. I don't say beautiful because they were the kind of beautiful you are thinking. They were beautiful because of how she used them. I love and cherish this ring for so many reasons. The first of which is the story she told of her wedding day. My grandfather had to work that day, and it was stormy day. She waited patiently for him down town at the courthouse. It was the second marriage for them both, my grandmother's first husband had died in World War Two and shortly after he died, she miscarried their son, she had already lost a little girl at birth. She told me of how many times she must have turned that ring around her finger hoping that he was just late due to the weather, that he hadn't changed his mind. I think of the hope she held in her heart, of starting over with the man she loved and hoped to build a beautiful life with, as she turned it round her finger. And she said, at last, he stepped through the door, and her heart leapt. And she was off on her adventure to fulfill her dreams. With her beautiful hands she took care of her much loved husband, had a beautiful daughter (my mama) that the doctors told her she would never have, helped raise her two grandchildren. And through the years served her family with her hands by baking delicious meals, I can still see her cleaning the biscuit dough out of her rings when she'd forget and leave them on. I can see her hands holding mine and holding the church hymnal as she she sang. If I look down at this ring, I see the beauty of her life. A little piece of her that I can carry with me. When I look at it, I can hear her singing, feel myslef standing next to her as a child in church, feel her hugs, see her waving goodbye from the screen door and I remember all the long talks we'd have before we fell asleep on the nights I was able to spend with her. I have passed the ring down to my youngest daughter, which was not easy. But see, I love her hands too. I did steal it back for just a few days and am wearing it today. It makes me happy. I miss my grandmother so much sometimes its as though I am that little 13 year old girl standing on the hill at her funeral all over again. But the joy and the beauty she brought to my life. The person I am because of her, outshine the pain of losing her. And today, I am reminded of her love and her inspiration from this precious ring. And I am thankful.

11 comments:

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

That was an absolutely beautiful post! It made me smile and it made me tear up. You are so lucky to have such dear memories of such a wonderful person. :)

Nora said...

So sweet. I love stories like that. My grandmother gave me a ring too that I love. It's too small and has a ton of filagree so I'm a little nervous to have it sized. I might just go ahead and do it though.
Hope all is well with you and you're getting settled.

nest of posies said...

oh my dear heavens.

tears.

i can almost say this post if from my life as well! i have my grandma's ring. i loved her hands & her pretty painted fingernails. her meals were just delicious. her love, i can still feel everyday, even though she is with jesus. she was gone before my marriage & the kids.

beautiful beautiful post!
iam thankful for YOU & this post.

your comment was so sweet earlier. i just love coming to your blog. your pics are just so fun. LOVE your new profile pic. it's fantastic.

Imperfect said...

What an amazing story. Love it! I have the simple gold band (it was all he could afford!)that my grandfather proposed to my granny with and I treasure it dearly...wore it on my right hand when I got married, felt just like my sweet grandaddy was there with me. Thanks for sharing!

Mommara said...

This is a beautiful story thank you for sharing. I hope one day I can pass down my rings like this...

Unknown said...

I found your blog through another I found on kelly's korner and this was the first post I read. This honestly made me tear up! I am very lucky to still have my grandmother and she is absolutely my best friend, but the things you mentioned are some of the exact things I'll remember about her when she's gone. Beautiful post and lovely blog!

Kat said...

I am totally crying over this post. It's precious beyond words. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. My grandmother was a lovely lady too and it made me think of her as I read your sweet post.

Charlotte said...

I just cried reading that post!!!! So beautiful and your memories are so vivid!!!! What a magical tradition you have started!!

Kristin said...

That is just precious!
I miss talking with you.
Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog :)

I found my way here through my travels and I wanted to say I really enjoyed your posts :)

Stacie in Australia:
'Happiness'

kayce hughes said...

Such a beautiful story! Thanks so much for sharing.